Friday, September 30, 2005

The End of an Era

Well folks, as they say...all good things must come to an end. Jerry Rice has retired from football. Cadillac and Ronnie have graduated from AU. Gas prices will never again dip below $2.00/gallon...and as of Saturday, 4542 Plummer Court...also know as Momma G's place is no more.

The house that many of you actually have or had keys to...the house with "the coffee table"...the place where so many of us spent hours and hours just hanging out...is closed for business.

We moved to that house when I was in the 7th grade so of course, that house will always hold many memories...

- hours of playing "burn out" with my Dad in the backyard
- epic football games in the side yard...many of which I played by myself, always making the game winning catch or game saving tackle
- afternoon long b'ball games on the goal in the cul de sac (many with a strategically placed jogging trampoline, just to make things interesting)
- where Max and Sam (the family dogs) joined our family.
- the night Kristin (my sister) locked me out of the house...on purpose.
- lots an lots of b'day parties where cake was enjoyed by all without a fork, or knife...or even a plate. Nothing like friends hanging out with hand-fulls of cake.
- it was the place that "Q" first got together
- the home of the coffee table signed by just about everyone who walked through those doors
- hours of movies and games
- it was a place of refuge when I moved back to Montgomery

We all will miss that house that played such a prominent part in some many of our lives.

Thanks for the memories 4542 Plummer Court...you will be missed.

I know there are so many "events" that I have forgotten. What do you remember about Momma G's?

2 comments:

John Owens said...

Wow. That really is sad. I guess I haven't thought about Momma G's in a while. It was one of those places you never thought would go away...really.

I remember several of the parties there. I remember going over there to type a paper because your mom had one of them there new, fancy word processors and I didn't want to type on a typewriter.

I remember always walking in and playing my favorite chord on the piano as my way of greeting everyone. It was a simple IV chord with an added V, but it made me so happy.

I remember watching movies, moving from room to room for private conversations away from the crowd, and the picture of Mark's fat uncle on the fridge with the caption that said, "Don't let this happen to you" so that Mark would be motivated to exercise.

It really was the place "where everybody knows your name."

But as I write this, I guess I just miss those days with the gang thinking those times would never end. I'll miss the house, but I guess I'm sadder that those days did end. We're all old now.

Miss you and love you. Thanks for the memories of the old house and the old friends. The house can be replaced, but the friends and the memories never will.

Lerra said...

I remember that time when we helped your mom move out & it took all day...

Ok, but seriously, it was while you were living in that "place of refuge" when we began our relationship together. It all began with your 30th birthday surprise party (a.k.a. the Night of Deception), and I thought, "Man, he's pretty cute." (Even though I had thought that since I was 10 - but this was a little different.) Anyway, I will miss that house. I was comfortable in that house - it was like another home for me.

Goodbye, Plummer Court.