Thursday, May 13, 2004

For a Limited Time Only...

Two good friends of mine lost their father yesterday. As far as I can tell it was sudden and unexpected. He died at home, in his sleep. To tell you the truth, I don't deal well with death. Although I am confident in my own, dealing with others' is sometimes a difficult thing for me. I would much rather tell a joke or even sing a song, than deal with the finality of someone dying.

This one is probably more difficult for me because of my relationship with my own Dad. The last few years have been a time of rebuilding a relationship that was strained at best after my parents got divorced. But through the grace of God that relationship has gotten stronger and I am eternally greatful for that. The problem is my Dad's relationship with God. You see, as far as I know, he's given that relationship up and at times like this, that really scares me. What makes it hurt even worse is my own lack of urgency in discussing it with him. We all know the easiest thing in the world to do is rush past the difficult conversations to ones that are easy and non-confrontational. I love my Dad and want him to be in heaven when I get there. I know God is the one who changes hearts, but I need to do at I can to "arrange the meeting". It's time to push past the awkwardness and take care of what's really important.

Paul said in Acts that when he died, he knew he was innocent of all men's blood because wherever he was and whoever he was with, they had at least heard of Jesus and knew what He meant to Paul. I want to be able to say that too! Please pray for me that I have a guts, the confidence, and the sense of urgency to tell my Dad what he needs to hear, and that God can change his heart.

No comments: