Saturday, May 28, 2005

Stories from Cali - Part Deux

I don't know why strange things seem to happen to me in public restrooms. I don't look for weird things to happen...I don't even plan for the unusual...I just go to take care of business and they just happen...

Here it goes...

We had just arrived at the ATL after an overnight flight from LAX. All of us were really tired. I didn't get to sleep as much as I would have liked. Couldn't get comfortable in those tiny airline seats, etc, etc. As most passengers do when arriving at their destination, the first stop is the restroom. So there I am...at the urinal...

I begin to hear muffled laughter coming from behind me. Not an everyday occurence in the men's room, but I don't think much of it. Maybe someone was really delirious from the flight...but it continues AND I begin to notice people glancing at me.

For those of you unware of the unofficial rules of the men's room, staring at anyone you do not know in there is a no-no. Makes you a wee bit uncomfortable. Anyway, the staring has begun...the laughter continues...

I wash my hands...more laughter...I leave the room...the laughter follows...

It's coming from my backpack! I open it up and there's the portable DVD player we had borrowed (thanks David and Jennifer) with episode 1 of FRIENDS playing away...

Luckily, the laughter was for Rachel and not for me...

4 comments:

Lerra said...

Yes, that incident is my fault. A word of advice if you have a portable DVD player: be sure to actually turn it off when you are finished watching it. Stopping the DVD and closing the screen won't do the trick. But then again, you won't have a great story like this to share on your blog.

On a side note - I enjoyed the use of the word "wee" in a story involving a urinal...

Anonymous said...

Just checking in to confirm that, yes, lerra's dad DOES read all postings and comments. I'm just saying....

BabyJ20 said...

Now that's a story you can strike up a conversation with on an airplane... maybe minus a detail or two, but most people would find that pretty amusing!!

Travis said...

I'm not a Wishum, but I'm assuming it's okay to post a comment on here.

Great story. I often like to read while using the bathroom (I just finished Pure Drivel by Steve Martin), but watching sitcom reruns sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

To be honest, I came here expecting some good Callie Gentry stories.