Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Vin Deisel Goes Bowling?

Ok, so I didn't see the REAL Vin Deisel at the bowling alley Friday night, but I did see your prototypical "wanna be everything that this world pushes as important at the expense of wisdom and others around". It was really kinda funny. This dude had the shaved head, the tatoos, the earrings, the sleeveless shirt to reveal the muscles he had apparently taken roids to get (just a guess), name brand cigs, drinking beer out of a NASCAR glass, and a girlfriend that he was EXTREMELY fond of. Can't write how I know that (G-rating), but those that were with me know exactly what I'm talking about.

Now...those that know me, know that I don't have a problem with tatoos or earrings or any of that. Actually, this guy had the look, that at one time in my life, I would have liked to have pulled off. But for me, as I watched him, it reminded me how caught up I get in things that really don't matter. My worth as a person is not determined by how big my muscles are, or how many friends I have, or if I'm the "life of the party". My worth comes from the fact that THE God of the universe looked down at me and said, "You know what...I love this guy, despite all of his faults. And I want him to spend eternity with Me."

If you're like me, our world's view of success often over shadows what our Savior says is the most important. It's not about clothes, looks, people, money....stuph. It's about loving the Lord your God with everything you have, and then loving your neighbor as much as you love yourself.

So...I guess I owe "Vin" a debt of gratitude. Thanks for reminding me what's really important in life.

No comments: